Purpose - is to facilitate coordination of emergency response activities and provide available City of Newark emergency management resources for support of emergency response activities within the City of Newark.
- Establish policies, procedures, and mechanisms for the centralized coordination and emergency management of response efforts, and the effective collection, processing, and dissemination of pertinent information during potential or actual emergency situations.
- Coordinate the distribution of commodities between county and municipal agencies
- Ensure all emergency management capabilities are tested, evaluated, and updated for immediate implementation
Goal and Objectives
It is a common goal of all levels of government to provide for the protection of citizens and property from the impacts of emergencies. To accomplish this goal for the City of Newark, the following objectives provide the basis for a consistent approach to effective operations before, during, and after an emergency:
- Protect and ensure public and life safety
- Reduce damage to property and infrastructure
- Limit economic disruption
- Conduct or assist in operations necessary to reduce the imminent threat of danger, or support other operations directly intended to prevent or minimize injury or illness to the impacted population
- Support emergency response operations being conducted by other City of Newark ESFs, or by neighboring jurisdictions, when necessary
- Gather situational awareness information in support of emergency response operations
- Support recovery operations being conducted by the City of Newark
- Support emergency preparedness activities being conducted by the City of Newark
State of Emergency
The Declaration of Emergency places city services under the control of the Director of Public Safety. This state of emergency shall be accomplished by a formal Proclamation of Emergency . The Proclamation of Emergency shall be read at a press conference, and hand delivered or faxed to all types of media, municipal officials, and department heads.